Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Harassment, pressure, and marginalization... Iraqi women in the military are thinking of resigning

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

Harassment, pressure, and marginalization... Iraqi women in the military are thinking of resigning Empty Harassment, pressure, and marginalization... Iraqi women in the military are thinking of resigning

Post by Rocky Thu 01 Feb 2024, 5:02 am

POSTED ON[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] BY [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[size=52]Harassment, pressure, and marginalization... Iraqi women in the military are thinking of resigning[/size]

[size=45]Baghdad/ Tabarak Abdul Majeed[/size]
    [size=45]Despite their daunting and multiple challenges, the strength and will of Iraqi women in the military are clearly embodied, as they challenge traditions and beliefs to prove their ability and competence, which makes them a source of inspiration, pride and pride for society.[/size]
    [size=45]The young woman, Maysarah Al-Majed (first lieutenant), began her journey in the military field after graduating from university and obtaining a law degree from Al-Nahrain University, and her desire to enter this field is due to; Because she grew up in an environment where some “military” laws were applied, such as commitment and arrangement, as her father was a soldier.[/size]
    [size=45]After the Iraqi Ministry of Interior/Higher Institute for Security Development published an application form to join, Maysarah was able to pass all the tests with complete excellence, and fulfilled her dream. That military uniform and the charisma that she dreamed of had always occupied her mind as she carried her weapon and performed her duty by enforcing the law and protecting society, and with the support of her family. Their leader was her father, who provided her with his wealth of military experience, enabling her to endure the grueling days of training.[/size]
    [size=45]Despite her family’s support, she faced social challenges represented by the stereotypical image towards women. She told Al Mada: “The reactionary and traditional ideas that view women as weak beings who cannot endure or exist, in addition to the prevailing belief that the military corps is monopolized by men, "It made me face a number of pressures."[/size]
    [size=45]Maysara continued her talk about the most prominent challenges facing women in the military: “The lack of equality in training opportunities with a great bias towards men,” pointing out that “military life has created a challenge in balancing personal and professional life due to the arduous nature of military work that requires presence in the military.” Days of warnings and emergencies, however, women officers prove day after day their ability and competence in the armed forces.”[/size]
    [size=45]Maysarah conveyed her feeling of unfairness, as well as most of her colleagues, for not obtaining the job entitlement, as she finds herself standing in her place, while men compete for positions,” adding, “We are afraid to express our opinions or object, as no one predicts the twisted methods of revenge that will be launched against us simply for expressing remarks.” “.[/size]
    [size=45]Maysarah praised the recent media role directed towards military women and how they were able to change the stereotypical discriminatory image that haunts them, as military colleges now graduate hundreds of women compared to previous years, when their number did not exceed 40 female officers.[/size]
    [size=45]For her part, Safaa Al-Lami, an employee at the Ministry of Defense, told Al-Mada that not saluting women in the military reflects nothing but disrespect, and they must be dealt with based on competence, professionalism, and integrity.[/size]
    [size=45]Al-Lami adds: “If I had to choose between a financial reward and a greeting, I would have chosen the latter, regardless of the financial reward, as the greeting is obligatory according to the Republican decree, regardless of who bears it.”[/size]
    [size=45]She points out, “Due to the abundance of harassment, pressure, marginalization, and lack of appreciation, I began to think that I was in the wrong place and wanted to resign, and because of the difficulty of choosing to withdraw from work, I find myself in an embarrassing situation (dilemma). Work means a lot to me, but it lacks appreciation.” And justice.”[/size]
    [size=45]She adds, “There is a societal lack of acceptance of military women, and their moral reputation haunts them, as some describe them as “rude” or “immoral,” and they are also exposed to many attempts at blackmail, harassment, and bargaining, especially for those who work with dedication and sincerity.”[/size]
    [size=45]Al-Lami believes that “the suffering of some female officers is incomparable to what some female members suffer in the central and southern governorates; Class discrimination between female officers and other female members, unfairness in granting leave, thank you letters, delegations and positions, despite female officers performing additional tasks, in addition to depriving many of them from participating in officers’ courses; Most families do not allow their women to travel, as it requires staying outside the home for long days that may reach a year, interspersed with a vacation period.”[/size]
    [size=45]She criticized the phenomenon of the “compulsory hijab,” where all female students in the Ministry of Defense are forced to wear it during graduation ceremonies and in some situations, stressing that this behavior stems “from a traditional custom and not from specific laws.”[/size]
    [size=45]She concluded by saying, “Iraqi women have begun to take their role in various fields of life, and to participate in professions monopolized by men, thus challenging society’s view, traditions, and tribal customs,” expressing her sadness at the delay in our societies in understanding the importance of the role of women.[/size]
    [size=45]The experience of presenter Saja Al-Abaiji is similar to the experiences of her colleagues in the profession, as she spoke to Al Mada about the social challenges that women face in the military field, while pointing out that the social environment created pressures and restrictions that contributed to limiting women’s freedom and their ability to think independently.[/size]
    [size=45]Despite her desire to submit her resignation after a month of work, she decided to challenge herself and continue in the profession. She was able to prove her ability and success at work, which contributed to changing the perception of others towards her. She considered that the fact that the military profession had been associated with men for many years made the situation more difficult. Women in this field are viewed as “outsiders,” which makes them face additional challenges at work.[/size]
    [size=45]Al-Abayji conveyed through Al-Mada some of the sentences that she used to encounter with hesitation, such as: “You can’t bear the work,” “This is no place,” and “The kitchen place.” Although she was relatively affected by these statements, the support of her family and husband helped her overcome them and continue moving forward.[/size]
    [size=45]Al-Abayji praised the positive changes that occurred despite their delay, which were “amending paragraphs of the laws related to women, in addition to implementing the “guard” system in many directorates and creating special places for women.”[/size]
    [size=45]In conclusion, Al-Abayji gave advice to girls aspiring to enter the military, provided that their decision is based on a real desire and motivation. She said: “They must be willing to bear the difficulties and challenges, and realize that the beginning will not be easy at all, but they will overcome this if they have the determination and true motivation to resist, and this motivation includes love of the profession and the desire to serve citizens.”[/size]
    [size=45][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Sun 29 Sep 2024, 1:27 am