Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Leafs third period woes costly in OT loss to Capitals

jedi17
    jedi17

Leafs third period woes costly in OT loss to Capitals Empty Leafs third period woes costly in OT loss to Capitals

Post by jedi17 Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:48 pm

Leafs third period woes costly in OT loss to Capitals
    January 3, 2017, 11:35 PM ET [97 Comments]
    The Toronto Maple Leafs have been able to win in spite of giving up leads late in games, but they were not able continue that trend against the Washington Capitals on Tuesday, as Alex Ovechkin scored 22 seconds into overtime to give the Caps a 6-5 comeback victory at Verizon Center.

The Leafs led 4-2 after 40 minutes on goals by Nazem Kadri, Connor Brown, Frederik Gauthier and Leo Komarov, but as they did in the last three of their five-game winning streak, Toronto could not hold onto that lead due to shoddy team defense down the stretch.

Evgeni Kuznetsov and Dmitry Orlov scored within a span of 1:19 to tie the game early in the third. Mitch Marner gave the Leafs the lead back with less than nine minutes left in regulation, but John Carlson responded in short order to force overtime. 

“I think (the club) had a good first period push, we responded a bit in the second period but we weren't very good defensively, we didn't skate like we can, we didn't play like we can.” Leafs coach Mike Babcock said after the loss. “In lots of ways we got a point here tonight and getting a point on the road when you're not very good doesn't happen very often.” 

Toronto has surrendered leads of two goals or more in the third period nine times this season and three times in their last four games, including a 4-1 lead against the Wings in the Centennial Classic. 

“I don't think (it being the third period) had anything to do with it. I thought we were playing the same way the whole game – not good enough.” Babcock said. “(The Capitals) scored two goals in the third period on total D zone breakdowns. All we've got to do is stop and talk to one another and execute. To me, that doesn't have much to do with what time in the game it is, it has to do with doing your job. We weren't good enough.”

In his “30 Thoughts” column, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman indicates that the Maple Leafs may have interest in opening up contract negotiations with defenseman Nikita Zaitsev.

The 25-year-old defenseman signed a one-year contract with Toronto after playing seven seasons in the KHL. Zaitsev is a restricted free agent this summer, but the Leafs can start to talk extension after January 1. 

Friedman indicates that there is great interest in bringing Zaitsev back to the KHL, but he is enjoying his time in Toronto. Zaitsev is one of the more capable defenders on a weak Leafs blueline corps and will likely have to give him a multi-year deal with a salary close to Morgan Rielly’s $5 Million price tag to keep the Russian happy. 

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:07 pm