America sets the demise of the last strongholds urging Syria[/ltr]
[ltr][rtl]_NEWS_DATE: 2019/1/29 23:52[/rtl] ?? AÂ ¢ ?? A ??? ¢ [rtl]572 times read[/rtl][/ltr]
[Where - Continue]
US Defense Secretary Patrick Chanahan said on Tuesday that he was expected to lose another Syrian-controlled territory in favor of US-backed forces in two weeks.
The Kurdish-led forces, backed by 2,000 US troops and air support, are preparing for a final battle against the organization of the Islamic state in eastern Syria after it helped expel its fighters from towns and cities once the state of the caliphate.
Syrian Democratic forces said on Tuesday that Da'ash fighters in eastern Syria were trapped in the last small enclave with their wives and children, forcing them to slow down their advance to protect civilians.
"I would like to say that 99.5 percent of the land that was controlled by the Islamic state was returned to the Syrians," Shanahan told reporters at the Pentagon. That will be 100 percent within two weeks. "
US President Donald Trump announced last month a stinging defeat and the sudden withdrawal of US forces from Syria despite objections from his top advisers, including Defense Secretary James Matisse, who resigned in protest.
Critics say the withdrawal of US forces could allow Daish to regroup and may allow Turkey to launch an attack on Kurdish People's Protection Units, part of the Syrian Democratic Forces Alliance, which Ankara sees as an extension of the PKK, which is waging an armed insurgency in Turkish territory.