Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

4 posters

PM’s Call for Elections Sparks Unprecedented Political Race in Iraq

chouchou
    chouchou

PM’s Call for Elections Sparks Unprecedented Political Race in Iraq  Empty PM’s Call for Elections Sparks Unprecedented Political Race in Iraq

Post by chouchou Mon 03 Aug 2020, 3:37 am

Hours after Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi called for general elections to be held on June 6, 2021, parliament Speaker Mohammed al-Halbousi called for holding “earlier” elections.

Both calls appear “unprecedented” constitutionally and politically.

Kadhimi made true on his electoral pledge to hold polls in compliance with the 2019 protest movement demands. He took everyone by surprise when he set the date of the elections, even though parliament has yet to complete the electoral law and other relevant regulations, such as determining electoral districts.

Moreover, Iraq is confronted with numerous challenges, such as the coronavirus outbreak and a stifling economic crisis sparked by the collapse in oil prices.

While Kadhimi’s call is seen as justified by the protesters, several observers and experts suspect that some political powers will seek to abort the polls, despite their declared statements of support.

The PM has effectively thrown the ball in parliament’s court. With the elections set, the parliament is, according to the constitution, obligated to dissolve itself. Halbousi, by calling for “earlier” elections, has in turn thrown the court in everyone’s court, including the government, the premier and political blocs and their leaders.

The speaker has called for holding an open emergency session for the legislature to set the procedures to hold the elections.

“Successive government have not implemented their agendas, which has prompted the continuation of popular protests,” he remarked in declaring his call for “earlier” elections. “Everyone must assume their responsibilities before the people.”

A member of Halbousi’s parliamentary bloc, MP Yehya Ghazi, stated that some arrangements needed to be complete before heading to polls.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, he highlighted legal aspects of the preparations and the need to implement article 64 of the constitution that calls for dissolving the parliament, which is seen as a main precursor to staging the elections.

The parliament must be dissolved two months before the elections and such a move requires an agreement among the political blocs, he explained.

Former member of the Independent High Electoral Commission, Miqdad Sharifi said that it appears that Kadhimi and Halbousi are in a form of “competition” over the elections.

He explained to Asharq Al-Awsat that the PM was being pressured by political forces to hold the polls, while the blocs that represent these forces at parliament are holding back from approving the electoral law.

This consequently is an “embarrassment” to the premier, he added.

Furthermore, Sharifi said it was not feasible to hold the elections in June 2021 given the stifling high temperatures in Iraq at the time which would discourage voters from heading out to polls stations.

“It appears to me that setting such a date was mainly aimed at pressuring blocs to approve the electoral law and not at actually holding the polls,” he speculated.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

weslin3, zimi31 and Rip534 like this post

zimi31
    zimi31
    Interacting Investor
    Interacting Investor

PM’s Call for Elections Sparks Unprecedented Political Race in Iraq  Empty Re: PM’s Call for Elections Sparks Unprecedented Political Race in Iraq

Post by zimi31 Mon 03 Aug 2020, 8:20 am

The procedures are a little confusing to me but, I really appreciate that the Speaker is challenging the original  date...let's shake it up over there...way past time to actually do something, instead of just talking about it...    fish

weslin3, chouchou and Rip534 like this post

weslin3
    weslin3
    Interacting Investor
    Interacting Investor

PM’s Call for Elections Sparks Unprecedented Political Race in Iraq  Empty Re: PM’s Call for Elections Sparks Unprecedented Political Race in Iraq

Post by weslin3 Mon 03 Aug 2020, 10:36 am

zimi31 wrote:The procedures are a little confusing to me but, I really appreciate that the Speaker is challenging the original  date...let's shake it up over there...way past time to actually do something, instead of just talking about it...    fish
    yes At least showing action..

chouchou, zimi31 and Rip534 like this post

zimi31
    zimi31
    Interacting Investor
    Interacting Investor

Post by zimi31 Mon 03 Aug 2020, 2:01 pm

weslin3 wrote:
    zimi31 wrote:The procedures are a little confusing to me but, I really appreciate that the Speaker is challenging the original  date...let's shake it up over there...way past time to actually do something, instead of just talking about it...    fish
    yes At least showing action..

Show me the money and I'll show you action   lol!

1dinarshort
    1dinarshort
    Getting It Investor
    Getting It Investor

Post by 1dinarshort Mon 03 Aug 2020, 7:54 pm

zimi31, when ever I see your avatar I have sooo many Al Bundy lines for you posts.  That last one about money and action..many

weslin3, chouchou, zimi31 and Rip534 like this post

zimi31
    zimi31
    Interacting Investor
    Interacting Investor

Post by zimi31 Mon 03 Aug 2020, 8:20 pm

1dinarshort wrote:zimi31, when ever I see your avatar I have sooo many Al Bundy lines for you posts.  That last one about money and action..many

I guess I didn't think this one through...doesn't appear that I would bring a smile to my church members faces...then again maybe... LOL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 1:21 am