Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

ISIS destroys shrine in Iraq amid U.S. strikes

Bama Diva
    Bama Diva

ISIS destroys shrine in Iraq amid U.S. strikes Empty ISIS destroys shrine in Iraq amid U.S. strikes

Post by Bama Diva Thu 25 Sep 2014, 7:15 pm

ISIS destroys shrine in Iraq amid U.S. strikes

Staff writer, Al Arabiya News
    Thursday, 25 September 2014

Security sources said Wednesday that ISIS extremists have destroyed the Arbaeen Wali shrine in the militant-held city of Tikrit.

According to Al Arabiya News Channel correspondent Jawad al-Hatab, ISIS bombed the Arabeen shrine, which houses the tombs of 40 “martyrs” who spear-headed the establishment of Tikrit as a major city during Islam’s expansion in 637 CE.

The Arbaeen shrine is located on a road connecting Tikrit with Iraq’s second largest city Mosul and the capital Baghdad.

Thousands of people visit the shrine annually.

An academic in Tikrit, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the shrine was constructed when Islamic architecture was at its peak or creativity.

“It was an Islamic school like those of al-Mustansariya in Baghdad, al-Mamilya in Cairo and Sabina in central Asia,” he said, adding “we found words scribbled by a visitor in 1262.”

Al-Mustansariya, established in 1227, was one of the oldest universities in the world.
    Meanwhile, an Iraqi journalist, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said the shrine was a site of protests before ISIS occupied Tikrit.

On Sept. 17, ISIS blew up the Citadel of Saladin in Tikrit. Saladin Castle is one of Iraq’s landmarks as it was the birthplace of the leader Saladin, who liberated Jerusalem nearly a thousand years ago.

Revered figures Johan and Sheth’s tombs were among other religious and historic sites purportedly destroyed by ISIS.
    The reported destruction of the Arbaeen shrine took place despite U.S. strikes against ISIS positions in Iraq and Syria.
    A series of strikes in Syria overnight by a U.S.-led coalition killed 14 ISIS militants and five civilians, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Thursday.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Sun 29 Sep 2024, 9:28 am