Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Colorado Avalanche

jedi17
    jedi17

Colorado Avalanche  Empty Colorado Avalanche

Post by jedi17 Wed 25 Jan 2017, 6:05 pm

Duchene will play vs Canucks, candidly addresses trade rumors
    January 25, 2017, 4:11 PM ET [5 Comments]
    Rick Sadowski
    Colorado Avalanche  Col Colorado Avalanche Blogger • Avalanche Insider • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Matt Duchene will return to the Avalanche lineup Wednesday against Vancouver after missing Monday's game against San Jose because of a stomach virus he managed to play through Saturday. 

"I'm in tonight," said Duchene, who didn't practice Tuesday or take part in an optional morning skate at the Pepsi Center. "I physically couldn't play the other night. I came to the rink, saw the doc and he said no way. Things just got worse. It was the better part of four days for me feeling terrible.

"I had multiple trips to the ER the day of the game. I went in the morning and I actually went right after the game. I watched the game on TV and things still weren’t right. So they sent me back. I was there until like 3 a.m. It was just ugly. It was one of those viruses going around right now. I never had it last three or four days like that.”

Here are the GAME NOTES. 

Duchene's name has been mentioned prominently in trade rumors ever since the Avalanche went into free fall; their 13-30-2 record is by far the worst in the NHL, and the Avalanche's announcement shortly before Monday's game that he was ill and wouldn't play fueled more speculation.

It isn't unusual for teams to keep a player out of the lineup when a trade is being finalized, ensuring he doesn't sustain an injury. The trade deadline is March 1, and general manager Joe Sakic has said Nathan MacKinnon, Mikko Rantanen and 2016 first-round pick Tyson Jost are the only untouchables.

"I never thought of it at the time," Duchene said. "I thought if we announce that I was sick, there wouldn’t be any questions about it, but I guess there was. I mean, I understand it. It’s part of the business and it’s something that may or may not happen at some point here. It was not a big deal. I just kind of laughed it off. It’s to be expected, I guess.”

Duchene, who has a team-leading 15 goals, was as candid as ever Wednesday about the possibility of leaving the team he grew up cheering for, saying he is handling it better than he could have in the past.

"It's easier for me to deal with it, having been through it already," he said. "The first time you hear rumors, it's a shock. You can't take it personally. I think after that, you're just more experienced. It's like anything in this line of work. The first time you experience it, it's tough, but after that you kind of rely on that prior experience to get you through it.

"The trade rumor stuff is part of the business. I've said it before, I understand at this juncture of the season the way things are going, something may happen, something may not. We'll see. I'm open to it in terms of -- when I say open to it, I mean I know it's part of the business and it's something that may happen. I'm not hiding from it, I'm not running away, I'm not burying my head. I understand that it's part of what we deal with as pro athletes, it comes with the territory.
    [size]

"I think it's kind of the same as last year. Even up to the trade deadline last year I didn't know whether I'd be moved or not. It's kind of the same thing this year. You just don't know what the future holds. The biggest thing for me is I just take it one day at a time. I'm a member of the Avalanche today. Who knows what tomorrow holds, but I'm going to play for this franchise, for the logo like I always have. It's still a big honor to put the jersey on.

"I'm 26 now, but I felt like when I turned 25 a lot changed for me, whether it's just that maturity factor or whatever it was, you kind of see things a little differently. I started in this league early and went through a lot of things that other 18-, 19-, 20-year-olds don't go through. You don't always handle it the right way, but you're expected to, which is the toughest thing. 

"I came from a small town, lived a bit of a sheltered life growing up, so I was behind a little bit in some of those aspects. Now that I've been here for a few years you definitely mature pretty quickly and learn how to deal with those things. I'm definitely a better person at home when things are bad at the rink than I used to be, for sure."

The fact the Avalanche have played so poorly and lost so often this season wears on Duchene, who in his eighth season with the team and will miss the playoffs for the sixth time if he remains.

"Where we're at, it's really hard," he said. "It's tough for everybody. Waking up in the morning, it's not the same excitement going to the rink. I love to play the game, I love the game for what the game is, but at this point it's hard knowing that we're where we're at right now and what our future holds is really difficult. You make sure you take care of what you can take care of, control what you can control and realize that it's a team game and a loss can't directly fall on one person no matter how good or bad you were.

"I enjoy everyone in this room and I really like to be around this team. I feel like I have a good relationship with everybody. Even in the worst days you're still playing in the NHL, you're still doing what you grew up loving. As a group we can still have some fun and enjoy what we're doing. It's not fun losing, but playing the game should always be fun."
    [/size]

Current date/time is Tue 07 May 2024, 4:34 pm