Blackberry Farm’s Sweet and Spicy Foothills Coleslaw
Write a Review
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
For maximum crunch, this zippy variation on classic coleslaw should be made no more than 2 hours before serving. The dish makes a fine companion to fried chicken or burgers.
- Printer Friendly Version
- 3 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tbs. malt vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. mustard seed oil or very spicy mustard such as English or German
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to taste
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup shredded red onion
Directions:In a large bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, brown sugar, malt vinegar, mustard seed oil, the 1 1/2 tsp. salt and the 1/4 tsp. pepper, whisking until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in the mayonnaise.
Add the red and green cabbages, the carrots and onion and toss until the vegetables are coated. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Strain the coleslaw. Taste and season it with more salt or pepper if desired. Serves 6.
Adapted from The Blackberry Farm Cookbook, by Sam Beall (Clarkson Potter, 2009).