Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Vancouver Canucks

jedi17
    jedi17

Vancouver Canucks  Empty Vancouver Canucks

Post by jedi17 Thu 26 Jan 2017, 8:37 pm

Vancouver Canucks climb into playoff spot, can move up move vs. Coyotes
    January 26, 2017, 3:29 PM ET [164 Comments]
    Carol Schram
    Vancouver Canucks  Van Vancouver Canucks Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Wednesday January 25 - Vancouver Canucks 3 - Colorado Avalanche 2

Look at it this way—if the Vancouver Canucks had more thoroughly dominated the Colorado Avalanche on Wednesday night, fans wouldn't have been treated to the rare experience of seeing their team capitalize on a late-game power play to secure the game-winning goal.

That's good stuff. And it's a good way for the Canucks to vault themselves back into the Western Conference playoff picture.

Here are your highlights from Vancouver's 3-2 win over Colorado:

The Avs dominated the scoring chances early on but the pressure was shortlived. Sven Baertschi opened the scoring at 6:55 of a first period where the Canucks outshot the home team 20-9. The game was more even for the final 40 minutes but Vancouver managed to hit double digits in shots in all three periods, ultimately outshooting Colorado 41-32. 

That's the just the third time all year Vancouver has managed to put more than 40 shots on goal in a game and, weirdly, the first time they've managed to record a regulation win for their effort. They were shut out by Carey Price when they outshot Montreal 42-21 at the Bell Centre back in early November, while Ben Hutton scored the overtime winner when the Canucks beat Arizona 3-2 at Rogers Arena later the same month.

Forget 40 shots. As successful as the Canucks have been with their 6-2-3 record so far in the month of January, they've only managed more than 30 shots three times in those 11 games, including last night. The other two occasions were the shootout loss to Philadelphia on January 12, when they outshot the Flyers 38-35 and Henrik's big night against Florida, when they were outshot 35-32 by the Panthers.

The good thing about last night's offense is that a team-leading five of those 41 shots came off the stick of Alex Edler, who also led the team with 25:08 of ice time. I guess he really is feeling OK after that scare at the end of last Sunday's game against Chicago!

Only two Canucks on the entire roster didn't record a shot last night—Chris Tanev and Brandon Sutter. And you had to feel for Sutter, who had a good look at the empty net with 33 seconds left to play before his stick was slashed out of his hands by Gabriel Landeskog.

Landeskog also took the penalty that mattered midway through the third period when he slashed Alex Burrows, setting up the only power-play opportunity the Canucks would need to win the game. Good zone time, and just one shot needed.

That was Baertschi's second goal of the night and team-leading fifth game-winner of the season—and his second game-winner on the road, which is pretty impressive considering the Canucks have just six road wins all year. Forget calling him streaky—maybe we should start calling him clutch!

Baertschi's now at 13 goals, second on the team behind Bo Horvat, and his 26 points rank him fourth in overall team scoring, one point behind Daniel Sedin. I think it's becoming safe to assume that he has earned himself a spot on the protected list when the Las Vegas expansion draft rolls around in June, especially on a good-value contract that's paying him $1.85 million both this season and next season—and after which, he'll still be a restricted free agent.

You know who else is good value? Wednesday's other goal scorer, Markus Granlund. He's only making $900,000 for the next two seasons and he's now up to 12 goals. At 23, he'll also still be a restricted free agent when his current contract expires.

As much as it pains me to say this, I'm starting to think that it would make good sense to leave Jannik Hansen as the team's exposed forward in the expansion draft. Hansen's good enough and, at $2.5 million, inexpensive enough that he'd probably be appealing to the Vegas brass. But with just one year left till he hits unrestricted free agency, the Canucks would be risking less of their future by exposing Hansen than if they exposed Baertschi or Granlund.

If Vegas chooses Hansen, that also means the Canucks would get to hang on to Luca Sbisa—who picked up his 10th assist of the year on Baertschi's first goal last night and leads the team at plus-eight.

Other key takeaways from Wednesday's game—Jacob Markstrom earned his first win of 2017, and Nikita Tryamkin set tongues wagging once again. 

I like this even better. How 'bout the speed on this rush to the net?

My imagination runs wild when I think about the kind of player that Tryamkin might be in three or four years. With every game, his playmaking pushes me closer to believing that my lofty fantasies could actually become reality. I can't remember the last time I thought the Canucks had a player with so much raw potential.

Bottom line from Wednesday—a huge two points. Vancouver's in sole possession of the second wild-card spot for the moment and will have a chance to move up—or down—tonight.

Thursday January 26 - Vancouver Canucks at Arizona Coyotes - 6 p.m. - Sportsnet Pacific

Vancouver Canucks: 49 GP, 23-20-6, 52 pts, fourth in Pacific Division
    Arizona Coyotes: 47 GP, 15-26-6, 36 pts, seventh in Pacific Division

Wednesday's win moved Vancouver up two spots in the Pacific Division standings. The Canucks are now ahead of the Flames, who are mired in a nasty four-game losing steak, and the Kings, who beat the Devils 3-1 in their last game on Tuesday.

Both those teams are also in action out East tonight as part of a busy 13-game pre-All Star slate. The Kings face Carolina in a 4 p.m. start, while the Flames meet Ottawa at 4:30 p.m. PT.

As for the Coyotes, they're riding a two-game winning streak after taking care of both Florida teams on their home ice at Gila River Arena. Goaltender Mike Smith, who's headed to the All-Star Game this weekend, was strong in facing 48 shots in a 5-3 win over Tampa Bay last Saturday, then followed up with a 3-2 overtime win over Florida on Monday.

Rookie right-wing Christian Fischer has been the big story in the desert this week. The second-round pick from 2015 was called up last week and scored the game-winner in his first game against the Lightning, then followed up with another goal against the Panthers.

Even with trade rumours swirling around many of their key players as the deadline approaches, the mood in the Coyotes dressing room is arguably as good as it has been all season. Despite their position in the standings, they won't necessarily be an easy opponent for the Canucks tonight.

Captain Shane Doan hasn't missed any games but has been listed as day-to-day over the past few days. He is expected to play tonight, as is Jordan Martinook, who missed the last two games with an upper-body injury. Max Domi's still sidelined with that broken hand, as is Brad Richardson with his broken leg.

No changes are expected for the Canucks, other than Ryan Miller stepping back between the pipes.

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 12:07 pm