US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has sharpened his criticism of China's response to the outbreak of the Corona virus, saying that the ruling Chinese Communist Party is still denying the world the information it needs to prevent further infections.
Pompeo, in an interview with the Washington Watch radio program yesterday (Tuesday), repeated previous accusations that Beijing's delay in sharing information about the virus posed risks to people around the world, saying that this "really endangered the lives of thousands of people."
"What worries me is that this blackout and this misinformation in which the Communist Party of China is participating is still depriving the world of the information it needs in order for us to prevent new injuries or something like that from happening again," he added.
Pompeo also accused Iran and Russia of launching disinformation campaigns about the virus, Reuters news agency reported.
He said, "The campaigns of misinformation are still ongoing by Russia and Iran in addition to China." He added, "They say that he came from the American army, and they say that maybe he started in Italy, everything to evade responsibility."
However, despite his strong criticism of China, he refrained from referring to the virus as "the Chinese virus" or "Wuhan virus," which has happened repeatedly and has angered China.
He said, "It will be time to press charges," but added that it was important for the world to know what was really happening.
He continued: «This is an ongoing global crisis, we need to make sure that every country today deals with transparency and shares information about what is really happening so that the global community, global health care and infectious disease workers can begin to address this comprehensively.
Pompeo added that "very important decisions" must be made in the future about the structure of US-China relations.
He said that the challenges of supply chains facing the United States were due to companies that "manage their supply chains from China and not here in the United States."
Pompeo did not go into details, but administration officials said last week that the White House was an executive order that would help it transfer medical supplies companies from China and elsewhere in the world to the United States amid the outbreak of the Corona virus.
The proposed US endeavor has caused concern in China and elsewhere, although it is unclear when Trump will begin to do so.