- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 medium head cabbage (3 pounds) , shredded
- 3 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 tbsp Garlic Salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream**
- 1 cup whole milk**
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (or crumbled Italian sausage; decrease seasoning if sausage is used)
** 3 cups of raw goat milk may be substituted for the whole milk & half/half.
- In a large Dutch oven, combine oil, onion, carrot, apple and garlic; saute until lightly caramelized.
- Add the broth, cabbage, Italian seasoning and garlic salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Combine cream and milk; gradually add to flour mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. [If making over the open fire, substitute butter/flour mixture with 2 tbsp of Corn Starch (Non-GMO if possible) mixed into milk separately.] Gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Add ham and heat through. Yield: 8-10 servings.