Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

+9
zimi31
duck2000
csd9013
country70girl
jbowhunter
callie
dizzydee
slj9999
Bama Diva
13 posters

Currency Exchange Taxation

Bama Diva
    Bama Diva

Currency Exchange Taxation - Page 3 Empty Currency Exchange Taxation

Post by Bama Diva Tue 02 Jul 2013, 9:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

There was an interesting conversation in the chat room earlier today regarding how   currency exchange is taxes. I began some research tonight and will post some articles that I've found that seems to address the subject. I have no idea what the IRS will rule, but there is some interesting reading to be had on the subject. 

An Introduction to Currency Taxation
    Posted by IWC on September 28, 2012
    A basic understanding of currency exchange principles is critical for U.S. expatriates, international business people, and global investors.
    U.S. tax liability is determined in U.S. dollars. Because currency values change relative to one another, many tax issues arise when currencies are bought and sold. Last month, we discussed general factors affecting relative currency values and currency exchange rates. This month we will look at general questions of currency exchange taxation:

• If foreign currency is purchased and the value of that currency goes up prior to sale (you get more dollars back than you started with), is that gain taxed as a capital gain or as ordinary income?
    • If foreign earned income is exchanged for dollars (no gain on invested capital), how is that taxed? And, what if foreign earned-income is never exchanged for dollars, how is tax computed in that case?

[b style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px;"]Gain on Sale of Currency: Ordinary Income[/b]
    Long-term capital gains income is usually taxed at a lower rate than ordinary income (which is taxed at an individual’s marginal tax rate). When foreign currency is purchased and later disposed of, as an investment or as a hedge, the gain or loss on the disposition (sale) of that foreign currency will be taxed as ordinary income. This is distinct from the purchase and later sale of other investment assets, which typically get capital gains treatment. The reason for ordinary income treatment of currency transactions is that Congress views currency fluctuations as tied to interest rate changes. Thus, the fluctuations are taxed as if they were interest earned, as ordinary income.

[b style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px;"]Personal Currency Transactions[/b]
    Personal currency transactions (those not for business or investment purposes, as for a vacation) receive distinct tax treatment. Currency gains or losses less than $200 are de minimis and have no tax effect. If the gain is higher, then it is taxable as a capital gain (not as ordinary income, as above). Losses on currency exchanges from non-profit-seeking endeavors are normally not deductible. Similarly, a currency gain on the sale of a personal residence (sold in foreign currency) in a foreign country is taxable, but a currency loss on the repayment of the mortgage would not be deductible.

http://www.integratedwealth.com/an-introduction-to-currency-taxation/

Last edited by Bama Diva on Tue 02 Jul 2013, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
    duck2000
    duck2000
    Interacting Investor
    Interacting Investor

Currency Exchange Taxation - Page 3 Empty Re: Currency Exchange Taxation

Post by duck2000 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 8:18 am

Foreign currency transactions.   If you have a gain on a personal foreign currency transaction because of changes in exchange rates, you do not have to include that gain in your income unless it is more than $200. If the gain is more than $200, report it as a capital gain.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p525/ar02.html#en_US_2012_publink1000229342
    Neno
    Neno
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Neno Wed 03 Jul 2013, 8:53 am

I have tried a million times to duck but,lol. Peeps got to understand to tell their whatever's, Complexes Taxing Issue. It isn't written, just like the words used for the over $200 earn from vacations, DISTINCT TAXING....;)

OS: if they never heard of complex taxing issue or know about it or, not what duck has showed you, time to find someone else.... ;)
    duck2000 wrote:2) The CPA is vested with all executive, legislative and judicial authority necessary

to achieve its objectives, to be exercised under relevant U.N. Security Council

resolutions, including Resolution 1483 (2003), and the laws and usages of war.

This authority shall be exercised by the CPA Administrator.
     Pursuant
    to my authority as Administrator of the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA),
    relevant U.N. Security Council resolutions, including Resolution 1483 (2003), and the

laws and usages of war,

http://www.iraqcoalition.org/regulations/20030516_CPAREG_1_The_Coalition_Provisional_Authority_.pdf

Bama Diva
    Bama Diva

Post by Bama Diva Wed 03 Jul 2013, 9:58 am

Neno wrote:I have tried a million times to duck but,lol. Peeps got to understand to tell their whatever's, Complexes Taxing Issue. It isn't written, just like the words used for the over $200 earn from vacations, DISTINCT TAXING....;)

OS: if they never heard of complex taxing issue or know about it or, not what duck has showed you, time to find someone else.... ;)

Weeellll, it hasn't been a big issue until recently for me lol . I am very glad that we have had this discussion again since it obviously had not sunken in to many of us. Thanks Duck, Neno, Ward, and others who have contributed to this discussion.
    ron-man
    ron-man
    All In Investor
    All In Investor

Post by ron-man Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:07 am

Oh,thank all of you so much,GOD BLESS.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 2:08 pm