Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Thoughts on the NHL's decision not to go to the Olympics?

jedi17
    jedi17

Thoughts on the NHL's decision not to go to the Olympics? Empty Thoughts on the NHL's decision not to go to the Olympics?

Post by jedi17 Tue 04 Apr 2017, 7:59 pm

Thoughts on the NHL's decision not to go to the Olympics?
    April 4, 2017, 11:26 AM ET [82 Comments]
    HockeyBuzz Hotstove
    RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddCordell

In this edition of the hotstove, we share our thoughts on the NHL's decision not to send players to the 2018 Olympics.

Todd Cordell

I'd prefer NHL players participate and by not going the league is missing a good opportunity to grow the game and get fans worldwide attached to some of the league's players -- everyone watches the Olympics -- but personally I am not too disappointed.

Best on best is certainly preferable but it's the stage that makes the games so exciting and not just the players. Take March Madness, for example. The vast majority of players will never go pro or touch an NBA court yet I watch every game I can throughout the tournament because of the stakes, the drama, and the excitement that comes with every player trying to make the most of a once in a lifetime opportunity. That's how I'd see hockey in the Olympics without NHLers (or a largely reduced number). Many players that normally wouldn't be considered will now have the opportunity to represent their country on a big stage and they'll want to make the most of it. The skill level won't be as good, obviously, but it will still be high drama and I'll watch.

James Tanner

I agree. The Olympics are, along with FIFA, one of the most crooked groups in the world. They leave the countries they go to destitute and the human costs are disgusting.

The NHL should in no way be associated with such a thing, and it'd be nice if any of the millionaires who are sad they don't get to play in their precious Olympics in any way gave a crap.

Add in the fact that Canada always wins barring a crazy upset, you can have the exact tournament with the exact players and play it at a time people actually want to watch hockey and the whole thing adds up to a big nothing.

The Olympics are dumb and I'm glad the NHL isn't going.

Peter Tessier

I'll be the contrarian here because sometimes it's a necessary role. I think fans, bloggers and media are making a much bigger deal out of this being a mistake than it needs to be. I like Olympic hockey once we get through the obvious mis-matches and into do or die games. In fact this is the best best-on-best tournament now since the Canada Cup died it's natural death. That's what fans want, a chance to see the all best players play for something and the Olympics was the only event that provided that possibility.

Be honest. That's why we are upset or disappointed. Most fans, especially in Canada, couldn't care less about growing the game. Just look at the venom that comes out towards the sun belt teams from the Great White North. Do you think these same fans care about growing the game in Korea? As I ranted on Twitter yesterday I received one response that really encapsulated it all, why can't they simply not figure out how to share? That's the real issue and sadly it's the fans that already support the game, have supported and will continue to who are going to be the biggest losers in this decision.

Current date/time is Fri 28 Jun 2024, 12:49 am