[size=36]What if Parliament fails to elect the new President of the Republic? .. A legal expert answers[/size]
political| 08:28 - 29/03/2022
Baghdad - Mawazine News
The legal expert, Ali Al-Tamimi, revealed, on Tuesday, the things that will happen in the event that the House of Representatives decides to hold a session to elect the president of the republic tomorrow, Wednesday.
In a post on his Facebook website, followed by Mawazine News, Al-Tamimi asked: What if Parliament fails to elect the President of the Republic again, while answering several points, namely:
1. According to the decision of the Federal Court to open the door for nomination for the position of President of the Republic for one time only No. 24 of 2022.. The Presidency of Parliament has a period of 30 days in accordance with Article 72 II of the Iraqi Constitution from March 6 to April 6, during which the President of the Republic is elected in a binding manner. After the session on March 26, which was postponed to March 30, the parliament’s presidency can postpone it again if the parliament fails to elect the president of the republic until April 6 only.. The nomination is for one time..and we will be faced with an irresolvable failure..and perhaps..the parliament will be dissolved at the request of a third of the members and the approval of the absolute majority of the number of members in accordance with Article 64 of the constitution...or a referendum of the Federal Supreme Court if that is done to find out the constitutional outlet..and we may be ..in the event that this happens..in front of new early elections...and the current government will continue to conduct daily affairs..According to the same article above.
2. In the case of starting to vote on the selection of the new President of the Republic, who stipulated the Federal Court’s decision to open the session with a two-thirds majority of the total number of Parliament, that means 220 deputies, and that they were present at the start of the voting in accordance with the Federal Court’s decision to open the nomination door with this percentage in the first round and if it did not happen Which of the candidates on this percentage will be in front of a second round in which the competition is limited between the first and second highest winners, and either of them gets the majority of votes, meaning if the first gets 50 votes and the second gets 30, the owner of 50 votes is the President of the Republic who is president and takes the constitutional oath before Parliament and in the presence of the President Federal Court in accordance with Article 70 of the Constitution and Law 8 of 2012.
3. The election is done by direct secret ballot by placing the papers in the box in the two rounds..
4. The vote on the President of the Republic and the assignment of the Prime Minister can take place in one day..
5. After that, the President of the Republic assigns the candidate of the most numerous parliamentary bloc within 15 days of taking the oath, which has not yet been determined, assigning him to form the government and the government curriculum within 30 days of his assignment in accordance with Article 76 of the Constitution with all its details.
The House of Representatives set a session to elect the president of the republic tomorrow, Wednesday, after it failed to complete the quorum to hold it last Saturday. Ended 29/R77