Adapted from Alice Waters, The Art of Simple Food
To make the dressing, combine:
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- Zest of ¼ lemon, in thin curls
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- pinch salt
- a few cracks of fresh-ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp Meyer Lemon Olive Oil (Lisbon also works)
Taste and adjust with salt if needed.
Trim off tops and root end from
- 2 Fennel Bulbs reserving a few fronds for garnish
Slice with a mandolin—I like the $25 Japanese plastic ones—toss the fennel and 2 Tbsp chopped parsley with the dressing, and you’re done!
As with many AOS recipes, you will be shocked at how tasty such a simple, quick recipe can be. Once adept, you can knock this salad out in 10 minutes.
- mince zest instead
- Use Basil oil, House Blend, or Olio Santo instead of Lemon oil
- Use Verjus instead of lemon juice and/or white wine vinegar
- Garnish with a shake of Korean Chili Flakes, for color
- Slice celery and/or radishes with the Fennel
photo credit: erin scott