Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Iraq Dinar/News is a popular topic among many topics this board offers.

See the footer of the board for our Facebook and My business pages.

Be sure and join our Dinar Only Newsletter Email list. It is located on the right. Your User Account Email when joining the board is for with in Neno's Place use of board information which you can control in your profile settings.

Neno

NOTES:
For "Advertising" with in my board to our Membership and Visitors see our "Sponsor Ad Info" in the Navbar. Neno's Place receives a low of 50,000 views a week to over 100,000 plus many times thru out the year.

I can be reached by phone or text 7am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.
Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Longest Dinar holding Community. Reach Admin by Private Message. Copyright © 2006-2017

Islamic State fighters in Iraqi Kurdistan a paranoia, or justifiable suspicion?

rocky

Post by rocky on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 4:44 am

Posted on October 4, 2016 by Editorial Staff in Islamic State, Security

Iraqi internally displaced people IDPs. Photo: AFP

HEWLÊR-Erbil, Iraq’s Kurdistan region,— To visit Iraqi Kurdistan now is to see the duality of life in the region unfold in real time.
As US-backed Peshmerga forces prepare for a fierce battle to take back Iraq’s second-largest city of Mosul from ISIL, life unfolds at the mellow pace associated with the region: Families go to buffet-style restaurants, markets throb with shoppers, and shisha cafes spill onto sidewalks.
“Resilience” is an almost meaningless word here – they’ve been fighting for so long, it’s hard to recall what recovery looks like. But even in a place where punches are rolled with, one might expect a slightly heightened sense of danger, given the front line is less than 100km away.

Iraqi Kurds are expecting 1.5 million internally displaced people (IDPs) fleeing Mosul as a result of the fighting – in addition to the 3.3 million already here. They’re now hosting nearly a quarter-million Syrian refugees.
This at a time of a major financial crisis, with public sector employees protesting and refusing to show up for work on a regular basis.
But other than the checkpoints going in and out of cities, one doesn’t see much sign of concern. Except when you speak to people, mainly off the record.
That’s where you’ll hear why people seem relatively calm: They already feel they have plenty of ISIL operatives – sleeper cells – among them. You could call it paranoia, or justifiable suspicion.
“They’re dressed normal, you know, not like Daesh,” said one man, using the Arabic acronym for ISIL. “And not just Arabs – Kurds too.”
One NGO worker told me “yes, they are already here – many”, adding she and her colleagues figure 70 percent of one IDP camp is made of up of ISIL fighters.
“But half of them are children,” I replied.
“From the teenagers and older – they’re Daesh. My staff does not want to work there when it’s dark. They don’t feel safe.”
Even within the IDP camps, said one source, there is suspicion among residents with some returning to areas liberated from ISIL in a hurry because they grew tired of living under a cloud of distrust.
Another NGO worker wasn’t sure how to deal with working in the newer camps being built so close to the front lines – some as close as 5km away.
The camps were put far away from the cities because of security concerns, Dindar Zebari, deputy minister and head of the Kurdish regional government’s foreign-relations department, told me.
This calm is as steady and solid as distance, checkpoints, and a few thousand Peshmerga make it. The coming weeks will show if all of that will hold.

http://ekurd.net/islamic-state-iraqi-kurdistan-2016-10-04

Current date/time is Sat 03 Dec 2016, 7:59 pm