Be the first to Write a Review
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Printer Friendly Version
- 3 to 4 Tbs. pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 to 3 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 10 to 15 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated pecorino cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Wine PairingThis pairs well with crisp, medium-bodied white wines like the Spottswoode Sauvignon Blanc, Napa County/Sonoma County from our Wine Club.
Directions:In a blender or food processor, combine the pine nuts and garlic. Process to chop coarsely. Add about half of the basil and process to chop coarsely. Add the remaining basil, the parsley and olive oil and process until a thick green sauce forms. If the sauce is too thin, add more basil or parsley; if it is too thick, add more olive oil.
Add the cheeses and season with salt and pepper. Process briefly. Pour into a glass jar or other container and top with a thin layer of olive oil to prevent the surface from discoloring. Cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Collection Series, Vegetable, by Marlena Spieler (Simon & Schuster, 2002).