Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Pittsburgh Penguins

jedi17
    jedi17

Pittsburgh Penguins  Empty Pittsburgh Penguins

Post by jedi17 Mon May 01, 2017 3:08 pm

Is this going to be a series or not?
    May 1, 2017, 11:53 AM ET [89 Comments]
    Ryan Wilson
    Pittsburgh Penguins Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    The Pittsburgh Penguins have a wonderful opportunity this evening. They have a chance to take a 3-0 series lead and bury the Washington Capitals in self-doubt and panic. Washington is in a do or die situation. Yes they have been the better team and yes over time the results would show that. Time is not in their favor after dropping the first two games of the series. Going down 3-0 is pretty much a guaranteed death sentence. Only four times in the history of the league has a team come back from down 0-3.

Injuries could have played a big role in Game 3. Patric Hornqvist, Tom Kuhnhackl, and Ron Hainsey all left Game 2 due to injury. Today Kuhnhackl and Hainsey participated in the morning skate. Missing were Patric Hornqvist, Carl Hagelin, and Brian Dumoulin. Mike Sullivan has indicated that all three will be a game-time decision. I fully expect Brian Dumoulin and Carl Hagelin to play. It is very encouraging that Hornqvist has been labeled a game-time decision given the fact he left Game 2 and did not return. Pittsburgh could have absorbed the injuries to Kuhnhackl and Hainsey, but missing Hornqvist is something they don't have a replacement for.

Matt Murray is back skating albeit without any gear on. It's a minor step in his recovery. It is still very unlikely he will return for round 2 even in a backup role.

Marc-Andre Fleury is at .936 so far while Braden Holtby is a very disappointing .906.

Here is a look at how Kessel is finding space in the offensive zone, the Penguins bad zone exits, and how the team is packing it in in front of Fleury

The Kessel walk is something I touched on earlier in the year. Given Phil's ability to score from the top of the circle the opposition has no choice but to step up on him which creates other passing lanes. Or they don't get in his lane and he snipes. If the Penguins get a 5 on 3 it would be unacceptable if the Kessel walk wasn't the primary look on their setup. You can't defend it.

The zone exit issue probably won't be resolved this season. It has been a problem for a while and they don't have the proper personnel on the back end to make a significant change in this department.

Defensively the Penguins are utilizing the 'protect the net' strategy from EA Sports. This approach does not eliminate scoring chances, but it does try to limit high-danger chances. I can't fault the strategy because Marc-Andre Fleury's weakness is his high-danger save percentage, but is it working?

Against Columbus the Penguins had a 51-50 advantage in high danger shot attempts. Against Washington the Penguins are losing that battle 19-11.

The reason it is "working" is what Jesse alluded to. The Penguins have been able clog the slot up keeping Washington from getting super clean looks and the Penguins forwards are fast enough to get up the ice despite being down low in the defensive zone. Also, luck has been on Pittsburgh's side. This strategy puts you at the mercy of puck bounces and in this sport good luck predicting how those go. The more rubber at the net the greater chance of a lucky bounce.

It looks as though Washington will be going with the same lineup once again

Have the Penguins solved Holtby?

Sources tell me that if you shoot above the glove, but below the crossbar...

Is this going to be a series or not? We should know around 10PM this evening.

Thanks for reading!

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 5:49 am