Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

5 posters

Iraqi official: Washington extends Baghdad's waiver of Iran sanctions for 45 days

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

Iraqi official: Washington extends Baghdad's waiver of Iran sanctions for 45 days Empty Iraqi official: Washington extends Baghdad's waiver of Iran sanctions for 45 days

Post by Rocky Wed 12 Feb 2020, 6:36 am

[size=40]Iraqi official: Washington extends Baghdad's waiver of Iran sanctions for 45 days
    February 12, 2020

[/size]
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    [size]

Pipelines transporting natural gas from the North Gas Field in Iran - Archive

[/size]

• The United States extended the exemption of Iraq from the penalties for importing gas and electricity from Iran for 45 days, an Iraqi official told the French press on Wednesday.

The last exemption granted to Iraq was supposed to end this week, but the United States preferred not to designate Prime Minister-designate Mohamed Allawi in the face of additional pressure, at a time when the former minister was trying to form a new government in the midst of a series of unrest.
    "Washington did not want to crack down on Allawi," the Iraqi official told AFP.
    Washington imposed severe sanctions on the Iranian energy sector in the year 2018, and threatened to punish countries dealing with Tehran in this field, but it granted Iraq a series of consecutive temporary exemptions, which started with 45 days, then expanded to 90 and 120 days.
    Iraq relies on Iran to secure about a third of its electricity.
    "The extension this time will be for 45 days and will be applied under strict conditions," the Iraqi official said, preferring not to be identified.
    Baghdad and Washington are currently in talks about what these terms are.
    The United States often calls on Iraq to stay away from Iran by cooperating with US companies to import gas needed to run power plants and improve capacity to deliver energy to homes.
    Iraq signed a memorandum of understanding with the "General Electric" group last year, while holding talks with other energy companies, but no contracts have been signed yet.
    US and Iraqi officials have told France Press that Washington is unhappy about the lack of rapid progress in this area.
    Any entity dealing with the Iranian energy sector and the central bank listed on the US black list is subject to secondary sanctions.
    The American exemption protected Iraq from similar sanctions, which allowed it to continue importing about 1,400 megawatts of electricity and 28 million cubic meters (988 million cubic feet) of gas from Iran.
    Baghdad pays the price of imports by depositing the Iraqi dinar through the state-owned Iraqi Trade Bank, which initially allows Iran to use it to buy goods not subject to sanctions.
    Baghdad has made several payments, but Iran has been unable to access the funds due to disputes over technical issues related to the deposit and withdrawal mechanism.
    In January, the head of the Board of the Iraqi Trade Bank, Faisal Al-Heims, said that his bank would not be a party to the mechanism of paying Iran's financial dues if Washington did not renew the exemption from sanctions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    wciappetta
    wciappetta
    NNP TEAM
    NNP TEAM

Iraqi official: Washington extends Baghdad's waiver of Iran sanctions for 45 days Empty Re: Iraqi official: Washington extends Baghdad's waiver of Iran sanctions for 45 days

Post by wciappetta Tue 03 Mar 2020, 8:56 am

I think this is a very interesting report. I'll be watching the termination of this waiver, I doubt it will be renewed. Lets see how fast Iraq presents a new PM and gov this time. I think they're now racing against the clock. These sanctions would effectively end the auctions. Think about that as no dollars would be available to Iraq. It kind of stands out to me.

The last exemption granted to Iraq was supposed to end this week, but the United States preferred not to designate Prime Minister-designate Mohamed Allawi in the face of additional pressure, at a time when the former minister was trying to form a new government in the midst of a series of unrest.

"Washington did not want to crack down on Allawi," the Iraqi official told AFP.

Washington imposed severe sanctions on the Iranian energy sector in the year 2018, and threatened to punish countries dealing with Tehran in this field, but it granted Iraq a series of consecutive temporary exemptions, which started with 45 days, then expanded to 90 and 120 days.

Iraq relies on Iran to secure about a third of its electricity.

"The extension this time will be for 45 days and will be applied under strict conditions," the Iraqi official said, preferring not to be identified.Baghdad and Washington are currently in talks about what these terms are.

The United States often calls on Iraq to stay away from Iran by cooperating with US companies to import gas needed to run power plants and improve capacity to deliver energy to homes.

Iraq signed a memorandum of understanding with the "General Electric" group last year, while holding talks with other energy companies, but no contracts have been signed yet.

US and Iraqi officials have told France Press that Washington is unhappy about the lack of rapid progress in this area.
    Any entity dealing with the Iranian energy sector and the central bank listed on the US black list is subject to secondary sanctions.

The American exemption protected Iraq from similar sanctions, which allowed it to continue importing about 1,400 megawatts of electricity and 28 million cubic meters (988 million cubic feet) of gas from Iran.
    Baghdad pays the price of imports by depositing the Iraqi dinar through the state-owned Iraqi Trade Bank, which initially allows Iran to use it to buy goods not subject to sanctions.

Baghdad has made several payments, but Iran has been unable to access the funds due to disputes over technical issues related to the deposit and withdrawal mechanism.
    In January, the head of the Board of the Iraqi Trade Bank, Faisal Al-Heims, said that his bank would not be a party to the mechanism of paying Iran's financial dues if Washington did not renew the exemption from sanctions.

lesley.beter
    Dedicated Investor
    Dedicated Investor

Iraqi official: Washington extends Baghdad's waiver of Iran sanctions for 45 days Empty Re: Iraqi official: Washington extends Baghdad's waiver of Iran sanctions for 45 days

Post by lesley.beter Tue 03 Mar 2020, 10:35 am

Thanks Ward and Rocky
    Proven
    Proven
    NNP TEAM
    NNP TEAM

Post by Proven Tue 03 Mar 2020, 10:39 am

Ward,  

You mention cutting off dollars for the auction.  Where?

Speculation?

Thanks.  
    weslin3
    weslin3
    Interacting Investor
    Interacting Investor

Post by weslin3 Tue 03 Mar 2020, 11:42 am

I keep hoping the currency auctions will stop as they are right now... Thinking this will fix a big problem..
    wciappetta
    wciappetta
    NNP TEAM
    NNP TEAM

Post by wciappetta Tue 03 Mar 2020, 2:16 pm

Proven wrote:Ward,  

You mention cutting off dollars for the auction.  Where?

Speculation?

Thanks.  
    This is my theory, They sell their oil, Dollars go into the federal reserve account for Iraq, that's how you cut dollars off, you prevent access. so to black list the cbi if Iraq buys Iranian energy? what kind of sanctions on Iraq would hurt the most? Auctions would have to end IMO plus most of their reserves sits in the US. Some mechanism would have to replace that system in order to get access again....

So it will be interesting to see how this plays out...

Proven
    NNP TEAM
    NNP TEAM

Post by Proven Tue 03 Mar 2020, 3:16 pm

The US certainly has leverage through the dollar.  

How long will the Iraqi people allow the politicians to steal their wealth? 

Thanks Ward

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 18 Oct 2024, 2:19 am