[size=30]Reber Ahmed: Implementation of the Sinjar Agreement is the only way to normalize the situation
[/size][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Erbil (Kurdistan 24) - The Minister of Interior of the Kurdistan Regional Government, Reber Ahmed, said today, Tuesday, that the implementation of the Sinjar Agreement, which was concluded with the federal government, is the only way to normalize the situation in the Sinjar region.
Reber Ahmed's statements came at a press conference in Erbil, the capital of the Kurdistan Region, which was held on the occasion of the seventh anniversary of the attack launched by ISIS on the Sinjar region.
ISIS invaded Sinjar district, the stronghold of the Yazidis on August 3, 2014, and committed the most heinous crimes against the Yazidis, killing men, kidnapping thousands of women and practicing sexual slavery against them, while tens of thousands of people were forced to flee their homes to camps in Kurdistan Region.
Ahmed said that "the implementation of the Sinjar agreement is the only way to normalize the situation in those areas."
In October 2020, the Iraqi government reached an agreement with the Kurdistan Region aimed at restoring stability and the displaced to Sinjar by ending the presence of the Kurdistan Labor Party, the Popular Mobilization and its related groups in the city and deploying regular federal forces.
Despite the conclusion of the agreement between Erbil and Baghdad, forces loyal to the Kurdistan Workers Party and the Popular Mobilization factions are still deployed in Sinjar. And officials in the Kurdistan Region have previously said that the implementation of the agreement was not as it is, but rather it was sham, which threatens the collapse of the agreement, which was once described as historic.
Thousands of displaced people are still afraid to return to their areas due to security concerns and the spread of militias in Sinjar, in addition to the devastation and poor services that the area suffers from.