Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Times Square," an Iraqi version defies hardliners

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

Times Square," an Iraqi version defies hardliners Empty Times Square," an Iraqi version defies hardliners

Post by Rocky Tue 21 Jun 2016, 3:57 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    "Times Square," an Iraqi version defies hardliners

 Basra / BBC 

News coming from Iraq tend to focus on theconflict and politics, but there is another aspect of this state is often overlooked. 
    , Says BBC correspondent in Basra said themere mention of the name "Basra" awakens painful memories, it 's the city , which lies in southern Iraq, which ruled British troops four years in an attempt to restore stability in thewake of the US invasion in 2003. It is a city that has seen dozens of deaths of British soldiers, who were expelled in the end as aresult of the harsh and deadly of the various armed Islamic groups attacks. 
    after the passage of a decade, still Basra subject to the rule of political Islamists backed by Iran. There is still a bad first impression of the city when you see the first time, the dusty streets and canals clogged withrubbish. Ships rust - covered structures remain, and most of which sank during the war between Iran and Iraq in the eighties of the last century, stands out from the Shatt al - Arab. It has not been re - built buildings that were bombed, as the port is still closed. 
    So I was surprised when an Iraqi friend suggested that we spend an evening in the new commercial center of the city. And he wondered: "Is there a shopping center in Basra?" Replied: "In fact, the mall opened at thebeginning of the year, and it is called Basra Times Square name." 
    The next few hours , revealing to many things, it was this mall is a harmonious and hunks stands amid shops and small kiosks to collapse like the one that found in any other city in the Middle East. We left the car in amulti - filled floors parking cars , SUVs and cars 
    shiny new. 
    After a quick security check we entered a world far removed from the traditional image of Iraq - World invites you because "be happy", where "should not be seen shopping on that task or chore but to enjoy theexperience. " 
    at home, the mall at least in terms of light or sunshine or capacity for any commercial center in the West.The four floors that make up the center filled with shops and stalls that offer products suitable for those with higher incomes. 
    But the most surprising of the shops are the people themselves, who flocked by the hundreds, men and women, young and old, and parents with infant children in small vehicles. She told me a girl to the mall to pull the rug from under the feet of the old amusement worn in Basra. 
    The mall is the place to spend Thursday and Friday, a weekend in the Muslim world. It 
    does not appear that the restrictions in place to dress and conduct strictly on the streets apply here , you can hardly see a long black cloak , or niqab, but the women wore brightly colored clothes. And many of them removed the veil to reveal their faces and a fair amount of hair. And some of them did not cover their heads at all - and perhaps Aguetdan stick - assets outside a fashion shop. 
    At the same time wandering young Baksat modern hair wearing elegant or T - shirts and shorts suits tight jeans, looked attentively to the girls. 
    It seems that the strict separation usual between the sexes may also collapsed , so that some shops sell both men and women 's clothing. Young men and women have marched Michopky hands, with few of them seem young , including does not imply that they are married. 
    Security forces inspect the site of a suicide car bomb attack in Basra in April / April of this year. 
    A group of students dressed in white art performance in the lobby of the ground floor, and they were singing and dancing while a large crowd of people gather around them, and shoppers rushed to see what washappening from the balconies. 
    My friend said that this performance is a protest against all acts of killings that still occur in Iraq. The number of viewers has increased dramatically and they clapped enthusiastically. 
    The only weapons that we saw inside the mall on the third floor, located in a small amusement park where children practiced shooting. I realized that during the many years I visited Iraq had only rarely seen families which enjoy this format. I 
    also realized that I was watching something very eloquent. It 's more than just a shopping center, it is atemple of tolerance and place allows for the Iraqis, especially the young, relaxation and a sense of freedom, responded to the fanatics who control every aspect of their lives. One woman said to me: "It makes us feel part of the wider world." 
    And I said to my friend that the Iraqi This is the icon that represents the culture of Western consumption can pose a threat to religious reactionaries in Basra , far greater than the threat represented by British forces them before. My friend thought about it for a moment and then said: "This is the wave of the future that can not be resisted."
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Fri 18 Oct 2024, 4:47 am