by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Mar 6, 2017, 5:12 pm
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Iraq’s Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari speaks during a news conference.
Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) Iraq has welcomed a reported decision by the White House to exclude the country from a list of states whose citizens are temporarily barred from entering the United States.
Reuters, citing a senior White House official, had reported earlier on Monday that the president was going to sign an amended order that bars citizens from six mainly-Muslim countries from entering the United States as means to avert terrorist threats from Islamic State militants. The countries, after Iraq’s removal, includes Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.
Spokesperson of the Iraqi foreign ministry, Ahmed Gamal, said the decision was “ a step in the right direction,” adding that the ministry expresses “deep comfort” for excluding Iraq from the measure.
“The decision…emboldens the strategic alliance between Baghdad and Washington in several fields, most importantly countering terrorism,” the spokesperson added.
Iraq’s Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi had previously urged Trump to reconsider the measure. Opponents said it endangered the lives of many Iraqis, especially translators who had cooperated with U.S. forces during their presence in Iraq.
“the new executive order, which the Republican president was expected to sign on Monday, also ensures that tens of thousands of legal permanent residents in the United States – or green card holders – from the listed countries would not now be affected by the travel ban,” Reuters quoted the White House official saying.
The measure, which was amended to overcome further judicial challenges, bars travelers from the six countries for 90 days and refugees for 120 days.