Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

STONEHOUSE ZHUG

Lobo
    Lobo

STONEHOUSE ZHUG Empty STONEHOUSE ZHUG

Post by Lobo Mon 22 Jun 2015, 9:25 pm

STONEHOUSE ZHUG
    STONEHOUSE ZHUG Erinscott_stonehouse_zhugcondimentrecipe_246wide-9536
    View detailed images (1)

One of the most delicious, versatile, pesto-like sauces you can make! Kids love it!

Ingredients:

Directions:

1. Peel, crush and steep the garlic cloves in a squeeze of lemon or lime juice, vinegar or Verjus, to soften the bite of the garlic. Using a mortar and pestle is the easiest route.
    2. Wash and pick the cilantro while the garlic mellow.  Then place all ingredients --initially only ½ cup of oil-- in a blender and pulse into a paste, incorporating more oil to desired consistency.  It should be like pesto. That's it! 

​Keeps well in the fridge for a week or so--if it lasts that long--and gets better over time, really.

Variations: 

• Use arugula or parsley instead of cilantro; substitute some of the House Blend with Lemon, Lime, or Basil oil, to add another layer of flavor.
    • use ¼ cup hemp or chia seeds as a thickener.  Can also use walnuts or pine nuts.

Uses & Suggestions:

Traditionally used as a condiment with falafel, Zhug is excellent on the American equivalent, hamburgers, slathered on any grilled meats or vegetables, on roasted potatoes, in sandwiches, hummus, tacos, burritos, or as a garnish for soups.
    Make the night before--it's more relaxing to pick the cilantro while you're watching a show or chatting after dinner-- then use it liberally all week.  Zhug is much better the next day and continues to develop complexity all week long.  Once you've made it a few times you can knock it out in no time, 15 minutes, and dress up any dish.  I've served it several nights in a row and everyone fights over it, as it tastes better each day.  Few have heard of it, but everyone will love it.
    Benefits:
    Coriander/Cilantro is considered both an herb and a spice, its leaves, Cilantro, being the herb, and its seeds, Coriander, being the spice. It's use can be traced back to 5,000 BC, making it one of the world's oldest spices, traditionally used in Greek and Roman cultures to preserves meats and flavor breads.  Zhug is a tasty way to incorporate this super-beneficial stress-relieving, salmonella-destroying anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-fungal, vitamin K rich, heavy metal cleansing phytonutrient-packed herb/spice into your diet.  What? Show me the science!
    photo credit: erin scott.  

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 7:04 pm