Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Colorado Avalanche

jedi17
    jedi17

Colorado Avalanche  Empty Colorado Avalanche

Post by jedi17 Sat 04 Feb 2017, 9:03 pm

Losing streak finally ends at 9; Hard-hitting Zadorov sets tone
    February 4, 2017, 9:25 PM ET [0 Comments]
    Rick Sadowski
    Colorado Avalanche  Col Colorado Avalanche Blogger • Avalanche Insider • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Yes, it's true.

The Avalanche won a game Saturday, ending a nine-game losing streak (0-8-1) with a 5-2 win against Winnipeg at the Pepsi Center.

"It felt good, we had fun again, that's what we have to find again," said Jarome Iginla, who scored a first-period power-play goal and set up Carl Soderberg for a goal and a 4-2 lead in the third period. "It's a fine line, it's not just all the laughs and giggles, but you have to have some fun while you're competing and battling and not be worried about making mistakes."

Iginla has seven goals this season and 618 in his NHL career, seven behind Colorado general manager Joe Sakic, who is 15th all time.

"We know we're a better group than we've been playing," Iginla said. "It snowballed in the wrong direction for awhile and then you lose your confidence as a group, thinking too much. This game, it just felt like we went out and played as hard as we could and had fun doing it." 

The Avalanche (14-33-2) had gone 0-8-1, with five home losses in a row since a 2-1 overtime victory against the New York Islanders on Jan. 6.

Matt Nieto had two goals, including an empty-netter with 38 seconds remaining; Matt Duchene tied his career high for assists with three and won 20 of 24 faceoffs, and Nathan MacKinnon scored a goal.

Calvin Pickard made 23 saves, defenseman Mark Barberio was solid in 20:31 of ice time in his Avalanche debut, and Nikita Zadorov supplied plenty of emotional fire with several booming hits while collecting an assist and a plus-2 plus/minus rating.

" 'Z' is a guy who's been getting better over the last few weeks and he showed what he's capable of with that body," Duchene said. "Man, did he level some guys. He did a great job, kind of setting the tone physically."

Much-maligned Francois Beauchemin played a team-high 28:35, had an assist and was plus-3.

The Avalanche were without Tyson Barrie and Rene Bourque (both lower-body injuries) and Fedor Tyutin (groin, hip).

"Not so much relief, but I'm just happy for our guys," coach Jared Bednar said. "I thought overall it was a great team effort from start to finish and to get rewarded for that effort, it's something that we needed, we needed as a group, as individuals. Different guys stepped us and had some success. We had contributions from all four lines. It's nice to see that for our guys."

The win followed a two-game road trip in which the Avalanche were outscored a combined 10-1.

The five goals were their highest output since a 6-5 win against Dallas opening night.

"It's exciting and it feels great, but at the same time it's a little frustrating too because we showed the type of team we can be if we play the way we can play, when guys are playing and working smart and hard," Duchene said. "It's frustrating that we weren't able to sustain those type of games earlier in the season. We're going to try and enjoy the small victories now and today was a big win over a good hockey team.
    [size]

"We scored, that helps. We're an offensive team, offensive-minded anyway. Obviously we haven't been feeling the puck that well this year in terms of putting the puck in the net."

The 6-feet-5, 230-pound Zadorov wound up with a charging minor and fighting major following his huge hit on Jets leading scorer Mark Scheifele at 9:42 of the third period. It was his second big hit against Scheifele in the game, and Jacob Trouba took exception.

While Zadorov was assessed the minor and major, Trouba was given an instigator penalty, fighting major and 10-minute misconduct.

“I would fight him if I turned,” Zadorov said. “He jumped me from behind and I went down right away. Next time, I’m going to be aware where the guys are. I’m going to turn and fight him. I have no problem to fight anyone who wants to challenge me.

"It’s not like how it’s been 10 years ago, like after every hit you have to fight, right? Some guys on the team, they have to step up. I think Trouba did a good job. If Dutchie got the same hit, I would do the same thing, I would jump the guy. It’s part of the game, you have to protect your players, you have to protect your best players and Scheifele is one of their best players.”

Of the actual hit, Zadorov said: “I saw him with his head down and I just tried to put on the brakes and tried to step up. I think I caught him cleanly. Good thing he didn't get injured, but it is what it is, it's hockey right? For me, I have to (play physical) because I have the size. I have to do that and I like it."

Bednar thought it was a clean hit, but he understood why Zadorov was penalized.

"My instinct on the hit was it was clean right away," he said. "I understand the penalty. They're seeing it and catching it at a glance. I have no problem with the penalty call, but I thought it was a clean hit."

Of Zadorov's play in general:

"That's definitely the type of play we need from him," Bednar said. "I thought he was outstanding, defensively sound, making good decisions. That's how we're hoping to see him play every night. He's not going to get four or five hits every night, but he can certainly play physical like that."[/size]

Current date/time is Wed 08 May 2024, 10:48 pm