Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Engulfed in Violence, Iraqi Youth Again Look Abroad

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

Engulfed in Violence, Iraqi Youth Again Look Abroad Empty Engulfed in Violence, Iraqi Youth Again Look Abroad

Post by Rocky Fri 25 Jul 2014, 12:09 pm

Engulfed in Violence, Iraqi Youth Again Look Abroad

Thursday, 24 July, 2014

BAGHDAD, Iraq — Deteriorating security is forcing Baghdad’s youth to consider immigrating — ideally to Europe or the United States — potentially creating a new wave of emigrants and refugees.

Iraq has been on a high security alert since early June, when the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and Sunni tribes drove government troops out of several Sunni-dominated towns and cities including Mosul, Iraq’s second-largest city.

“Iraq is no longer a place to live in real peace,” said Mohammed, who asked that his last name not be used. “I can’t look at the future optimistically. Iraq is now a battleground and whoever comes around kills without hesitation.”

His goal is to get a tourist visa to a European country and seek asylum to begin a new life.

“My life is threatened, my family receives death threats daily,” said Mustafa al-Qaisi 25, from Adhamiya district in central Baghdad. “I’ve decided to travel because of the violence. It doesn’t matter what kind of fate awaits me; I can’t continue here with a dark future and uncertainty looming.”

About 60 percent of Iraq’s population is under the age of 25, and unemployment is highest among youth. There are an estimated 1.5 million internally displaced Iraqis, according to the UNHCR, the United Nations’ refugee agency.

Iraq also has a massive emigrant population that fled decades of war and dictatorship. The goal for many youth, particularly young men, is the same as it was decades ago: to find their way to countries with better security and economic prospects.

“Iraqi youth only seem to be able to escape shadow of death through migration to European and Arab countries,” said Falah al-Shami a journalist. “This is especially true with terrorist groups spreading throughout the western provinces,” he said, in reference to Sunni Arab insurgents taking over parts of Anbar and Nineveh governorates.

“The majority of young people think about immigrating to Europe whether illegally or legally, which would have dire consequences for Iraq because many intellectuals and promising creative minds are preparing to leave,” he said. Intellectuals “are threatened and could be killed at any moment,” he said.Many nations closed their doors to Iraqis as security deteriorated around 2006. While it’s now easier for Iraqi citizens to get tourist or business visas, immigrating is far more difficult.

Attorneys for the US-based Iraqi Refugee Assistance Project filed a lawsuit last week against the US government for holding up the applications of asylum seekers, many of who served US government agencies.

“The recent sectarian violence in Iraq has not only increased the danger these US allies face, but has halted the US government’s refugee processing further trapping those who need to flee,” the Iraqi Refugee Assistance Project stated in a press release.

The lawyers said 1,000 asylum seekers need immediate approval. The US has granted asylum to about 85,000 refugees since the US-led invasion in 2003.

Analyst Huda Ajyan said, “There are two types of young people. There are those who have a thirst for travel and want to feed their curiosity by discovering other parts of the world, even if they’re living a luxurious life in Iraq. And then there are those who are in a bad situation and want to realize their dreams abroad because their dreams have crashed in Iraq. I believe it’s all going to change over the years when the situation settles in Iraq and it gets easier to travel abroad. These young people will change their minds and only travel for tourism and recreation, not to migrate.”

She added, “The reality of Iraq and the lack of security and stability are the most important issues driving young people to want to leave … they want to escape this situation and build a new life, even if it’s uncertain at best.”

A staffer with the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights who requested anonymity said Iraqi youth “are targeted and marginalized. Youth are an easy target for terrorist groups that hit stadiums and cafes.”

“Iraqis are resorting to illegal immigration and are deported from these countries by force as a result,” she said.

The Iraqi government needs to “provide a stable political atmosphere that creates security and economic stability which then leads to economic development. Social stability helps stem brain drain and mass migration.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 11:10 am