The blast at a chemical factory is the fourth to hit China in just over a month!
An explosion at a chemical factory in eastern China has killed at least one person, according to government-run media, the latest in a series of deadly warehouse blasts that have raised questions about insufficient safety regulations.
A giant explosion of a chemical tank at Rizhao Port in June saw local authorities seed the clouds in the area to make it rain and help douse the dangerous inferno.
A massive Explosion Rocked the Chinese Port city of Tianjin, killing 158 with many more injured.
A few days later yet another massive explosion at a chemical factory in China's eastern Shandong province.
Pictures on Chinese social media showed a large fireball rising from what appeared to be an industrial area in Dongying, located in the eastern province of Shandong province late Monday.
A news website run by the local government reported the explosion occurred at the Shandong Binyuan Chemical Company.
The fire was extinguished five hours later, it said.
The news outlet added that several of the company's executives have been detained and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
The incident comes less than a month after a much larger explosion killed 158 people at a chemical storage facility in the northern port city of Tianjin.
Chinese authorities have detained 12 company employees and 11 government officials in that investigation. Officials at the Ruihai International Logistics Company, where the Tianjin blast occurred, are believed to have obtained fraudulent safety licenses.
The explosions devastated a wide swath of the port area, were triggered by a fire and a toxic brew of volatile chemicals.
Investigators are trying to figure out how the warehouse was allowed to store such dangerous chemicals so close to residences, in violation of safety standards.
The incident is raising questions about whether other facilities are not adhering to proper safety standards, and whether China's well-documented government corruption is helping lead to those violations.
Several U.S. officials said on Monday the United States is considering sanctions against both Russian and Chinese individuals and companies for cyber attacks against U.S. commercial targets.
Reuters reports that the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said no final decision had been made on imposing sanctions.
Sanctions could strain relations with Russia further and, if they came soon, cast a pall over a state visit by Chinese President Xi Jinping in September.
The Washington Post first reported the Obama administration was considering sanctioning Chinese targets--possibly within the next few weeks--and said that individuals and firms from other nations could also be targeted.