Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

New York Rangers

jedi17
    jedi17

New York Rangers  Empty New York Rangers

Post by jedi17 Tue 14 Mar 2017, 7:17 pm

Game 70: TB 3 NYR 2, Early dominance doesn't result in goals, leads to loss
    March 14, 2017, 4:43 PM ET [28 Comments]
    Jan Levine
    New York Rangers Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    The Rangers dominated the first period, but thanks to Peter Budaj and an inability to hit the net/ convert chances, they ended the frame tied at one. Ultimately, this proved to be the team's downfall, as Tampa defeated New York on a third period goal by Brayden Point. New york's loss coupled with Columbus' win, Pittsburgh's shootout loss and both of those teams' two games in hand makes it highly likely the Rangers end up in the first wild card spot.

New York led 13-3 in shots after one and that number doesn't even fully accurately describe how they dominated play. But Pavel Buchnevich missed a golden opportunity, while Rick Nash and i believe Mats Zuccarello failed to convert good chances as well. The Corsi gods came back to haunt New York, as they tallied just 15 shots the rest of the game, although Tampa notched just 13 of their own.

Some thoughts:

- Great to see Michael Grabner getting back on the scoreboard and the renewed chemistry with Kevin Hayes and J.T. Miller.

- Nicegoal by Steven Kampfer on a blast from the point. Dan Girardi had the "vacuum" used to heal his ankle taken off and that he is also scheduled to skate at the next practice, so Kampfer's time in the lineup may be limited. But there is no timeframe for his return and the same can be said for Kevin Klein.

- Tanner Glass continues to make an impact. The fourth line is currently a mosh mash of personnel, so once Jesper Fast is back, look for a return to a more traditional fourth line. What that means, which won't be favored by many, is that Pavel Buchnevich or Jimmy Vesey sit. Buch may be fighting it feeling the pressure to produce, but it's a results game. Yes, I know the thought on Nash, who has four goals in 24 games, but he does a ton of little things not noticed and kills penalties.

- Fast has been skating in a non-contact jersey and is expected to take part in the Rangers next full practice, which for now is scheduled for Thursday.

- The penalty kill misses Fast. We focus on the PP and inability to gain the zone, but the penalty kill hasn't been particularly good lately. That's an area that needs to be shored up the last 12 games of the season.

- New York is just 1-3-1 in their last five games at home and 19-15-2 overall at MSG. Compare that with 25-9 on the road and you see why staying in the first Wild Card may not be that bad. The Rangers need to get back to playing at home like they did to start the season, because this could really could come back to haunt them in the post-season. I am unsure it's if it's due to the renovations at MSG and loss of the True Blues, resulting in a more staid or corporate environment at the Garden, or if it's because they play a straight forward, grinding game on the road or fancy game at home, but whatever the reason, this must get fixed before the playoffs.

- According to Elliotte Friedman, the Rangers are considered a favorite to land 22-year-old Russian defenseman Alexei Bereglazov. Per Alex Nunn, Bereglazov would be a decent addition if it happens. Big guy, strong in his own zone, and chips in offensively from time to time. Having a good post-season. This is college free agent season but NY hasn't been prominently mentioned as a finalist for any, including Zach Aston-Reese, Gavin Bayreuther or Tyler Kelleher etc., save for Bereglazov.

- Chris Kreider was very noticeable, even though he didn't score. Same with Brady Skjei. Ryan McDonagh struggled a bit and he and Marc Staal weren't great on one of the three goals against.

I am close to starting the playoff race component of the blogs. Likely will begin it starting with Game 72 or 73. The schedule is odd with three days off and then back-to-backs against Florida and Minnesota on Friday and Saturday. Those are followed by back-to-backs versus New Jersey, where I expect Magnus Hellberg to play, and the Islanders on March 21 and 22. Because the NHL loves the Rangers, after those contests, New York has their annual Cali trip. That includes - no shock - another set of back-to-backs, March 25 and 26 versus LA and Anaheim followed by March 28 against San Jose, during which or right after Henrik Lundqvist should be back.

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 7:49 pm