Quick Hits: World Championships, Alumni Golf Benefit, SHL Finals
April 20, 2017, 12:10 PM ET [126 Comments]
Philadelphia Flyers Blogger • NHL.com • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
QUICK HITS: APRIL 20, 2017
1) There will be a total of four Flyers players representing Team Canada at the 2017 IIHF World Championships in Paris, France, and Cologne, Germany. On Wednesday, it was announced that Sean Couturier and Travis Konecny would be joining the already selected Claude Giroux and Wayne Simmonds on the Canadian squad. Ron Hextall is Team Canada's general manager while Dave Hakstol will serve as an assistant coach to Tampa Bay's Jon Cooper.
2) No surprise here: French media are reporting that the Flyers' Pierre-Edouard Bellemare and the Dallas Stars' Antoine Roussel will both play for France at the World Championships. Bellemare is a fixture on the French national team, playing a top-of-lineup role and play a more offensive oriented style in the international game than he brings to his fourth-line assignments in the NHL.
3) Game 3 of the Swedish Hockey League finals between Brynäs IF Gävle and HV71 Jönköping begins at 1:15 p.m. EDT on Thursday. The series is tied at one game apiece as the scene shifts back to Jönköping for the third game (in the SHL, it's an alternating venue format throughout the series rather than the 2-2-1-1-1 format of the NHL). Felix Sandström has been in goal for BIF in both games of the finals, and teammate Oskar Lindblom scored a goal in a losing cause in the series opener before being held off the scoresheet last game.
4) The third annual Flyers Alumni golf outing on behalf of You Too Animal Rescue will be held on Thursday, June 29 at Locust Valley Country Club in Coopersburg, PA. The event starts at 8 a.m. and costs $95 per person (including greens fees, cart, a continental breakfast, a buffet lunch afterwards, plus photos and autographs with the Flyers Alumni). Participating Alumni are Bernie Parent, the Watson brothers and Bob "the Hound" Kelly. For an extra fee, one of the attending Alum can join with your group. For more information, call 570-637-8644.
All proceeds from the golf outing benefit the You Too Animal Rescue. In each the last two years, the small organization has rescued and fostered more than 300 cats, kittens, dogs and puppies and funded more than $34,000 in related veterinarian bills alone.
5) The You Too benefit golf outing is not to be confused with the much larger-scale signature annual Flyers Alumni golfing event, in which several dozen Flyers Alumni typically participate. The 2017 Flyers Alumni Golf Invitational will be held on June 26 at Dupont Country Club in Wilmington. All proceeds benefit BLOCS (Business Leadership Organized for Catholic Schools), Flyers Charities, and the Philadelphia Flyers Alumni Association. For more information and registration details, click here.