Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Whole-Wheat Farina with Berry Swirl

Lobo
    Lobo

Whole-Wheat Farina with Berry Swirl Empty Whole-Wheat Farina with Berry Swirl

Post by Lobo Mon 26 Dec 2016, 6:16 pm

Whole-Wheat Farina with Berry Swirl Img61l
    Whole-Wheat Farina with Berry Swirl

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 5 minutes
    Servings: 4
    A bright berry sauce swirled into creamy whole-wheat cereal is a sublime alternative to oatmeal. Serve this comforting dish with a splash of milk and a sprinkle of turbinado sugar, if you like. If you don’t have fresh berries, use thawed frozen ones. For the most nutrition and best texture and flavor, choose stone-ground, organic farina over processed or instant cereal.

Ingredients:

• 3 cups water
    • Pinch of sea salt
    • 1 cup whole-wheat farina
    • 1 cup fresh berries, such as raspberries, blackberries or
        blueberries, or a combination
    • 2 Tbs. sugar
    • 1/4 tsp. fresh lemon juice

Directions:

In a saucepan over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the salt. Slowly whisk in the farina, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the grains are tender, 4 to 6 minutes.

In a blender or food processor, whirl the berries and sugar until smooth. Pour the puree through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl, using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to press on the solids and extract as much juice as possible. Discard the solids. Stir in the lemon juice.

Spoon the farina into 4 bowls, dividing it evenly. Top each with a swirl of the berry puree. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Healthy in a Hurry, by Karen Ansel, MS, RD and Charity Ferreira (Weldon Owen, 2011).

Related Tips

All About Berries

Current date/time is Fri 26 Jul 2024, 11:28 pm