Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

New Jersey Devils

jedi17
    jedi17

New Jersey Devils Empty New Jersey Devils

Post by jedi17 Wed 01 Feb 2017, 8:01 pm

Short-handed goals from Henrique, Palmieri lead Devils past Red Wings
    February 1, 2017, 10:55 AM ET [19 Comments]
    Todd Cordell
     New Jersey Devils Nj New Jersey Devils Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddCordell

The New Jersey Devils kicked off the (unofficial) 2nd half of the season in Detroit last night with a much-needed two points.

It wasn't pretty, and the Devils were forced to hang onto their hats for the final 20 minutes, but when all was said and done they left the ice victors.

A few notes:

1) I thought the Devils were good in the first 40 minutes. They didn't really give Detroit much in the way of Grade A chances or second chance opportunities, and they capitalized whenever they were given a chance, whether it was at full-strength or on the penalty kill.

Adam Henrique's short-handed goal aside, the wheels completely fell off in the final frame. The Devils spent most of the frame chasing play in their own zone, which was evident in the numbers. The Wings out-attempted the Devils, 28-7, and out-chanced them, 12-5, in the 3rd period and had plenty of looks in the final few minutes to try and tie things up. The Devils need to do a better job protecting leads.

2) I thought Kyle Palmieri played one of his best games of the season. He scored a pair of goals, including his first career short-handed marker, and was a difference maker almost every time he touched the ice. To go with his goals, he also had a team-leading four shots and a few hits to go with it. 

He was very engaged from the word go and, according to game score, was the Devils' most important player in this contest. He finished with a GS of 1.65, which was far above the next closest Devil (Taylor Hall with .95). That was the guy the Devils paid for in the off-season.

3) Pavel Zacha and Jacob Josefson continue to look very good with whoever they play with. For a handful of games Zacha - Josefson - Beau Bennett was making things happen on a consistent basis and with Bennett out, Stefan Noesen has jumped into the mix without missing a beat. Their ability to eat up some minutes and contribute makes life easier on the top-6 and gives the Devils three lines capable of chipping in (the Vern Fiddler line usually doesn't bring much and handles some tougher defensive minutes).

4) Sticking with Zacha, he has looked like a different player over the last few weeks. In his first 37 games, he tallied just seven points and 38 shots. In his last six games, he has four points and seven shots, including at least one shot in a career-high four consecutive games. After being stuck in a rut for much of the season, Zacha is starting to take some steps forward.

5) I'd like to see Karl Stollery replaced when Andy Greene returns, which appears to be soon. He has been on the ice for more 5v5 shot attempts against than for in six consecutive games and the Devils have been out-chanced by 14 in that span. I don't think his power play prowess, if you'd call it that, is worth keeping him in the lineup over Steve Santini, Jon Merrill, etc.

Recent Posts

Current date/time is Wed 08 May 2024, 12:45 pm