Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

MM&C 2/16/24 DG Okonjo-Iweala on MC13: “We are going to get it done”

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

MM&C 2/16/24 DG Okonjo-Iweala on MC13: “We are going to get it done” Empty MM&C 2/16/24 DG Okonjo-Iweala on MC13: “We are going to get it done”

Post by Rocky Fri 16 Feb 2024, 10:15 am

GENERAL COUNCIL

Speaking at a special meeting of the WTO’s General Council on 14 February, WTO Director-General Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala acknowledged the challenges members face in securing a package of outcomes for the organization’s upcoming 13th Ministerial Conference (MC13) in Abu Dhabi but said she was confident members would be able to deliver.

<figure>
    MM&C 2/16/24 DG Okonjo-Iweala on MC13: “We are going to get it done” Ge14224_lg
    DG Okonjo-Iweala on MC13: “We are going to get it done”</figure>

“You know it's always very difficult and seems like it's not going to work,” she told delegations.  “But we never say never. We are going to get it done.”

The Director-General said that while she was encouraged by members' stamina and passion in advancing the MC13 preparations, “frankly speaking, we are still not where I would have wished us to be at this point in our preparatory processes.”
    “But I remain positive because of the relatively positive tone in the negotiations,” she said. “This gives me hope that we'll get more convergence in our negotiating positions.”
    MC13 will take place from 26 to 29 February in Abu Dhabi.
    Dr Thani bin Ahmed Al Zeyoudi, the United Arab Emirates' Minister of State for Foreign Trade and Chair of MC13, addressed members at the General Council meeting.  He urged them to continue working on narrowing their differences before ministers arrive in Abu Dhabi.
    “In the present international context with considerable challenges and uncertainty, it is crucial to welcome the ministers at MC with some positive news,” he said. “We need to show them that, yes indeed, reaching agreements on trade issues is possible today.”
    “We really need to settle the low hanging fruits now and show more flexibility across the different issues and areas, especially since we have just 12 days until MC13,” he added.
    The General Council Chairperson, Ambassador Athaliah Lesiba Molokomme of Botswana, briefed members on the state of play regarding the drafting of an MC13 Ministerial Declaration.  She noted that she intends to work with delegations in the following days to address some issues that remain outstanding, """in order to circulate a “clean” draft Declaration on 16 February for members’ consideration"".
    “The importance that we all attach to sending a strong, meaningful, and responsive political message from ministers is evident — particularly given the difficult period we are currently living in, Ambassador Molokomme said. “Let us all keep in mind what is at stake, as we finalize the MC13 draft Declaration.”
    Members received reports on MC13 preparations from the chairpersons of the following negotiating bodies: agriculture, Ambassador Alparslan Acarsoy of Türkiye; fisheries subsidies, Ambassador Einar Gunnarsson of Iceland; development, Ambassador Kadra Hassan of Djibouti; and services, Ambassador Zhanar Aitzhanova of Kazakhstan.
    Also reporting to members were the Facilitator of the Work Programme on Electronic Commerce and the Moratorium, Ambassador Usha Dwarka-Canabady of Mauritius; and the Chairpersons of the Dispute Settlement Body (DSB), Ambassador Petter Ølberg of Norway, the Council for TRIPS, Ambassador Pimchanok Pitfield of Thailand, the Committee on Trade and Development (on least developed country graduation), Ambassador José R. Sánchez-Fung of the Dominican Republic and the Committee on Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures, Mr Tayutic Mena Retana of Costa Rica. Mr Marco Molina, deputy permanent representative of Guatemala, was also invited by the DSB chair to report in his capacity as convenor of the informal discussions on dispute settlement reform.
    The Director-General also noted progress in efforts to secure the entry into force of the Agreement on Fisheries Subsidies reached at the 12th Ministerial Conference in 2022.  Fourteen more countries have either ratified the Agreement or will do so before MC13, she said, meaning the total number of countries ratifying will now be 70.
    With just 40 more members needed to close the gap, “I am confident this agreement will enter into force this year, making it one of the fastest, if not the fastest, entry into force of a WTO multilateral agreement,” DG Okonjo-Iweala said.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We know this is a couple of days out now. Why I like it is we can see urgency in the tone of things to come.  A couple things that come to mind is that there was a welcoming sign out yesterday for Iarq's accession to the WTO. This article shows there is pressure on getting things together for the MC13 meetings coming up at the end of this month. 
    The emphasis on the difficult period in time the world is experiencing.  With ratifying these trade agreements before the MC13 starts is a focus. What also is in focus to day is the circulation of a "clean" draft Declaration scheduled for today for members consideration. 
    The snippet below shows positive signs for Iraq yesterday.  The day after the WTO meetings in Geneva on the 14th. They want people to know what is at stake. Well, with Iraq about to show their REER everone needs to be ready for tides to rise in the financial, banking and trade arenas. I think the WTO is on a mission to make things happen and quickly. That circular likely has eyes all over it today..
    Turkey and Iraq have water issues and they mention turkey and agriculture. Iraq will need water for agriculture and where will it come from? Likely from Turkey. Will there be a deal for oil? We will find out about that I bet here shortly.  
    Al-Sudani and Barzani are in Munich for Security Council meetings through the 18th. They are taking thier seat at the security table. Is this why Al-Sudani stayed home from the meetings in 2024 Summit? Al-Sudani was out checking on his borders a few days back.  Iraq  was not at Security Council Meetings in Munich last year, as far as I can tell, however the Security Council Review Team was in Iraq in 2023. Now though, there is a reason for it is seems. Would that reason be found in the Security Counil Meetings that are apparently ahead of schedule noted below? Security and stability is the key to the $500 Billion in investment monies for Iraq's development projects we read about yesterday. I like it.. imo ~ MM 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Snippet 02/15/2024:
    Minister of Commerce: International welcome and desire to increase investments in Iraq
    He pointed out, "The meeting came out with many decisions that were approved, including enhancing intra-trade, liberalizing trade in goods, and ""welcoming Iraq's accession to the World Trade Organization."""
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit to Iraq by the Independent Strategic Review Team mandated by Security Council resolution 2682 (2023) [EN/AR/KU]

Format News and Press Release  Source

Mr. Volker Perthes, Head of the Independent Strategic Review Team of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), arrived in Baghdad for an official visit to the Republic of Iraq from 6-27 November 2023. His visit is conducted within the framework of the Independent Strategic Review requested by the Government of Iraq and mandated by the Security Council.
    In its resolution 2682 (2023), the Security Council requested “that the Secretary-General, in line with best practices, conduct and provide the Security Council, no later than 31 March 2024, with an independent strategic review of UNAMI, in consultation with the Government of Iraq, in addition to UN agencies, member States, regional organisations, independent experts and civil society, and the Government of Kuwait, consistent with paragraph 4 of resolution 2107 (2013), including: (a) assessing current threats to Iraq’s peace and security, assessing the continued relevance of UNAMI’s tasks and priorities, and providing recommendations to optimize UNAMI’s mandate, mission structure and staffing to support the Government of Iraq in addressing the challenges of peace and security; (b) further assessing the options to support the Government of Iraq in strengthening effective regional cooperation.”
    In accordance with this mandate, Mr. Perthes will conduct consultations with government officials and other key stakeholders on the issues relevant to the mandate of the Independent Strategic Review.
    Mr. Perthes is expected to report to the Secretary-General on his findings.
    Baghdad, 7 November 2023

Current date/time is Thu 19 Sep 2024, 7:00 pm