Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Neno's Place!

Neno's Place Established in 2006 as a Community of Reality

Neno

I can be reached by phone or text 8am-7pm cst 972-768-9772 or, once joining the board I can be reached by a (PM) Private Message.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Many Topics Including The Oldest Dinar Community. Copyright © 2006-2020

Kurds caught in middle as Iraq mulls suspending visas for U.S. citizens

Rocky
    Rocky
    Admin Assist
    Admin Assist

Kurds caught in middle as Iraq mulls suspending visas for U.S. citizens Empty Kurds caught in middle as Iraq mulls suspending visas for U.S. citizens

Post by Rocky Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:36 am

Kurds caught in middle as Iraq mulls suspending visas for U.S. citizens
    Posted on January 27, 2017 by Editorial Staff in PoliticsPolitics
    Kurds caught in middle as Iraq mulls suspending visas for U.S. citizens US-visa-photo-courtesy-usembassy-gov
    US visa. Photo: Courtesy/usembassy.gov

HEWLÊR-Erbil, Iraq’s Kurdistan region,— Baghdad is mulling a tit-for-tat response to Washington’s proposal to suspend issuing visas to a group of mainly Muslim countries, including Iraq, citing fears of terrorism. People in the Kurdistan Region are incensed at the terror label and worried that Kurdish relations with the US will suffer if Baghdad follows through on its threat.
    A draft executive order expected to be signed by US President Donald Trump as early as Thursday, titled ‘Protecting the nation from terrorist attacks by foreign nationals,’ states that “The United States must be vigilant during the visa-issuance process to ensure that those approved for admission do not intend to harm Americans and that they have no ties to terrorism.”
    The order details that the US cannot allow admission into its country people who are hostile to the US and those “who would place violent religious edicts over American law.”

The order, when signed, would immediately suspend immigration from a number of countries, all predominantly Muslim, including Iraq, Iran, and Syria, for at least 30 days while the government reviews and tightens its immigrant screening procedures.
    Trump denied this was a Muslim ban, saying “it’s countries that have tremendous terror,” in an interview with ABC News.
    When asked which countries he was concerned about, Trump said, “You’re looking at people that come in, in many cases, in some cases with evil intentions. I don’t want that. They’re ISIS. They’re coming under false pretense. I don’t want that.”
    Responding in kind, Baghdad is considering whether to halt issuing visas to US citizens.
    “There is mutual treatment between Iraq and the US in terms of diplomatic relations and visa issuance. It is very likely that Iraq might suspend issuing visas to US citizens following the US president’s decision to suspend visas to Iraqi citizens,” Renas Jano, a member of the foreign relations committee in the Iraqi parliament, told Rudaw.
    He warned, however, that Iraq has a lot to lose if it picks such a fight with the US.
    “If Iraq responds the same way to Trump’s decision by suspending visas to US citizens, we will lose a lot, as there is a big American force here helping us in our war against ISIS. In addition, there are many US diplomats and business people here. The decision will also disfavor Iraqi students too.”
    The Iraqi government is planning a visit to Washington to talk with Trump’s advisor on the Middle East, Walid Phares, about this issue, Jano said. The two countries have a parliamentary committee on friendly relations.
    In the Kurdistan Region, people on the streets are angry over the terror label.
    “The Peshmerga have been fighting terror and making sacrifices in this way. Is this the reward? Calling us terrorists? In fact, they brought terror to this country,” a man in his 60s told Rudaw English in Erbil. He asked for his name to be withheld.
    “They have to separate the Kurdistan Region from this decision as many people will be damaged due to this decree,” he added.
    Another person feared the Kurdistan Region will suffer if Baghdad picks a fight over the issue with Washington. “This problem has to be solved through diplomatic talks,” said Osman Rauf Osman. “If the Iraqi government takes such measures, the US will stay away from us and this certainly will not be in favor of the Kurdistan Region at this critical time.”
    Hemn Maghdid fears Trump’s policy is nothing new, noting that US visas have been hard to obtain recently. “Over the past four to five months, very few people have been granted a US visa. I believe this decision by the new administration is pre-planned and will not last long.”

http://ekurd.net/kurds-iraq-us-visas-2017-01-27

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:59 am