Washington and Brussels welcome the initiative of Kabul on extending the truce with the "Taliban"
The United States and the European Union on Saturday welcomed the Kabul initiative to extend the truce with the Taliban.
"The United States is ready to work with the Afghan government, the Taliban and the Afghan people as a whole to achieve a peaceful agreement and a political settlement that will put an end to the war once and for all," US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a written statement on Saturday.
"We welcome the cease-fire during Eid al-Fitr. We support the offer by President Ghazi Ghani to extend the cease-fire and start peace negotiations," he said.
In Brussels, the head of European diplomacy, Federica Mugherini, said the EU "expresses its appreciation to both parties for their fulfillment of their obligations." The statement added that the recent decision of the Afghan president was "a bold new step towards peace negotiations," adding, "We appeal to the Taliban to do the same. The Afghan people deserve lasting peace. "
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani previously announced a unilateral truce with the Taliban on the occasion of the end of the month of Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr, for the period from 11 to 19 June. After that, the movement also announced a three-day ceasefire.
Ghani said in a speech to citizens that the truce with the Taliban had been extended by the government without giving a time-frame, stressing that the authorities were waiting for the movement to respond to this initiative.